Friday 9 May 2014

Indonesian food fix

One of the things I miss the most about Bali is the food. It is very strange, in the beginning I didn't really enjoy this overload of flavours that comes with the food there. Fish sauce, salt, sugar, kecap manis (local kind of thick black sauce - like oyster sauce or dark thick soja sauce), chili - but by the time we left I simply loved the food. I used to go to a place on Jl Petitenget in Seminyak, called Kolega. Lunch for 2usd, so amazingly good... and spicy!



Tempe (Fried soabeans, corn fritters, baby aubergine with sambal (chili paste), waterspinach, nasi kuning (yellow rice - rice in coconut milk and curcuma) and my favorite you can just see at the bottom: baby squid in ink sauce and chili!)
So, just imagine how happy I got when the Indonesian staff here told me that there is Indonesian restaurants in Male... Salt, the restaurant, is located just next to the fish market, on the 6th floor of the Sonnee building. All taxi drivers know that building apparently! 


The view from the restaurant
Outside the fish market
The chef and owner of Salt is Indonesian. He used to work on one the resort islands here and decided to then open his own place. There is a mix kind of menu and an Indonesia menu. He came out to say hello when he was told he had Balinese visitors (not us but also one of the girls who work here at the resort, whom I met up with in Male). The food is nice: we had tempe with vegetables, ayam goreng (deep fried chicken) and chili kangkung with prawns. He makes the tempe himself and it was my absolute favorite.
Tempe
Ayam Goreng- with a super sambal!!! 
Chili Kangkung
Chili and pickles
They have a Indonesian buffet twice a week at night - I think it's Wednesday and Saturday (not 100% sure on the Saturday). Money wise - one dish is around 90-160mvr, 70mvr for a juice. They also do take away, so we left with a bag full of goodies for the rest of the Indonesian staff... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog :)